Swim Program Overview
Camps ‘R’ Us offers a recreational swim program during the summer. Campers come to camp classified as “non-swimmers,” meaning that they must be in water that is less than chest deep whenever at the off-campus pool facilities. In order for certain Campers to be considered “swimmers,” Camps ‘R’ Us has partnered with a swim testing company so that Campers can receive their swimming classification in an official capacity, and be able to swim in deeper water, less than chin deep when at the off-campus pool facilities.
Campers are eligible for swim testing if they are currently in 1st grade or higher. Pre-season swim testing is replacing in-season swim testing during the 2022 camp season. Update 7/8/2022: we have added two in-season testing dates. Please see below.
Swim Testing through another Public/Private Instructor (updated 4/15/2022)
In addition to offering swim testing through our authorized testing provider, Camps ‘R’ Us may accept swim test results from an independent testing provider, as long as the testing provider’s credentials are acceptable by the New York State Department of Health (please see the chart below).
If you are planning to provide your child’s independent swim testing results, you must also include a copy of your testing provider’s certification card or certificate. The swim test results must be documented to include all the criteria of the swim test described below. Swim test results and your provider’s certification can be uploaded directly to your camp account.
Swim Testing through Camps ‘R’ Us
Parents who would like their Camper to be swim tested for the summer camp season may sign up using this form, and follow the instructions below. All swimming classifications will be reported to Camps ‘R’ Us prior to the camp season. This is an optional swim test, and is not required for participation in the camp swim program.
Freeport Recreation Center
130 E. Merrick Road
Freeport, NY 11520
Testing Dates and Times
Testing schedules will be released about one week prior to testing date, based on the schedule of the testing aquatics personnel, and will be offered weekly throughout the camp pre-season.
- Thursday, April 7, 2022, 7:30-8:30 PM
- Thursday, April 14, 2022, 6:30-7:15 PM
- Thursday, April 21, 2022, 1:00-2:00 PM
- Friday, April 29, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Thursday, May 5, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Thursday, May 12, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Friday, May 20, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Friday, June 3, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Friday, June 10, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Friday, June 17, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Thursday, June 23, 2022, 2:00-3:00 PM
- Tuesday, July 12, 2022, 6:00-7:00 PM
- Saturday, July 16th, 12:00 – 1:00 PM (*final scheduled test date)
The testing fee is $8 per child, payable at the time of testing, on site at Freeport Rec.
Instructions on Swim Testing Day
When you arrive at Freeport Rec:
- Go to payment area and pay the $8 fee with the cashier
- Enter the appropriate locker room and head to the pool
- Campers 5 or younger may go through with a Parent. If a parent feels uncomfortable letting a child go through by themselves, a lifeguard can assist
- Look for our swim tester, Tom
The Swim Test
In order to be classified a swimmer for the camp season, Campers should be able to do the following:
- Enter water and go completely under
- Recover to surface and remain there for a least 1 minute treading water or floating
- Turn themselves around and face where they are going to exit the water
- Swim for at least 25 yards on front or back
- Exit water
The Camper will receive a green light if they pass the test or a red light if they fail the test.
Test Results Reporting
Camper test results will be reported to Camps ‘R’ Us Director of Operations weekly, and confirmed via email with Parents of Campers who were tested.
Sign Up for Swim Testing
Parents who would like their Camper to be swim tested for the summer camp season may sign up using this form.
Please remember to bring swim goggles if your child uses them to go underwater. If you need to cancel your swim test registration, please contact us. Please do not call Freeport Rec Center.